A colleague from Ariadne Capital wonders if I know any great lawyers for working with early stage companies. James Knight’s fantastic firm Lawyers Direct comes to mind immediately. They “remove all unnecessary overhead: most support staff, junior and trainee lawyers, large offices and equity partners. Traditional overhead such as office space has been replaced by state of the art technology which means our solicitors can operate from their own office usually located within the home”. In my experience, they deliiver.
The email question reminded of what a good model that can be;
1) Broadcast question
2) Filter incoming responses
3) Broad/narrowcast responses.
It doesn’t happen often enough. By answering one question, I was able to pick up in the names of 6 other personally endorsed lawyers, which were;
1) Matthew Cowan, partner and head of new media, IT and Telecommunications practice at Clyde & Co.
2) Janice Wall of Pitmans, a Reading-based firm.
3) Rachel or Carol at Waterfront Partnership “Business Focused IP & IT” A firm of ex-city lawyers offering city expertise at regional law firm prices.
4) Susan Singletone (one of the UK’s leading IT Lawyers), Singletons Solicitors which specializes in intellectual property law, including trademarks and competition law and internet law and general commercial law.
5) Clive Gringras of Olswang.
6) Jo Evans is ”brilliant company structural lawyer” at Lewis Silkin www.lewissilkin.com
7) For Employment Jo Keddie at Dawson’s. “Jo is razor-sharp, fantastic to work with…she does bullet-proof employment contracts, Employee Handbook, Service Agreements for Senior Execs etc”
In just five minutes, a simple broadcast/filtered/rebroadcast email has proved more useful than 2 years on Linkedin… Food for thought!